United States Courthouse
LEED-certified federal courthouse in the heart of Eastern Iowa
The new U.S. Courthouse in downtown Cedar Rapids was built on a two-block site along 8th Avenue SE, between 2nd Street SE and the Cedar River, adjacent to the Great America Building and the Helen G. Nassif YMCA. The new 281,902-square-foot facility, which opened in November 2012, has five courtrooms, state-of-the-art technology, and associated facilities for the U.S. Courts operations and ten other federal government agencies.
The project was funded in the fall of 2008 through a special disaster relief appropriation by the U.S. Congress, in response to flood devastation in Cedar Rapids that occurred in June 2008. The flood of 2008 closed the existing federal courthouse built in 1932, which was planned for replacement in the near future. The new project was in the design phase at the time of the flood, so funding by Congress initiated the construction start in 2009.